Vajrasana takes its name from Sanskrit, where “Vajra” means “Lightning” or “Diamond” and “Asana” means “Pose” or “Posture” and hence the name Thunderbolt Yoga Pose.
It is also called adamantine pose. It is said that after doing this posture, the body becomes as strong as diamond.
It is said that the Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga posture is a posture to solve all your belly problems. It is one of the easiest asanas to perform as it stimulates the Vajra nadi that improves digestion. It helps relieve constipation and strengthens the lower back, legs and thighs.
Vajrasana time limit
The posture of Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga should be practiced for 10-15 minutes immediately after eating to promote digestion. It is also a preparatory pose for other advanced asanas.
Technique to practice Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
- The first step in practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga is to sit with your legs stretched out on the floor or on the yoga mat.
- Kneel down while flexing the lower legs back so that they stay together and the big toes of both feet cross.
- To practice Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose, gently lower your body at the bottom of your legs so that your thighs are resting on your calves.
- Keep your hands on your knees and look at one point and look forward while keeping your head and neck straight.
- Hold your breath while practicing Vajrasana. You should inhale and exhale deeply while sitting in this position.
- Close your eyes while breathing and focus the center of the eye and try to calm your mind.
- Beginners should try to stay in this position for 5-10 minutes or until your legs and feet begin to feel discomfort.
- Advanced practitioners should stay in Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose for 15-20 minutes or for as long as you can.
Benefits of practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
- One One of the main benefits of practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt yoga is that it helps strengthen the digestive system since its regular practice helps relieve constipation and other stomach disorders. While practicing Vajrasana, blood flow is obstructed in the lower part of the body and blood flow increases in the stomach and pelvic area, which favors bowel movement and improves digestion.
- The regular practice of Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga makes it possible to get rid of heartburn.
- The practice of Vajrasana helps liver function.
- The posture of Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga helps relieve labor pains and reduce menstrual cramps.
- This asana helps strengthen the lumbar and pelvic area by reducing the problems of the lower back and spine as Sciatica .
- The regular practice of Vajrasana calms the mind, relaxes the nervous system and the whole body. It is also one of the best meditative asanas.
- The reduction in belly fat will be noticed with the usual practice of Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga.
- Vajrasana also strengthens the reproductive organs.
- It is also considered magical. pose for people suffering from arthritis as it helps relieve pain.
- It also helps in the treatment of varicose veins.
- Vajrasana or the attitude of Thunderbolt Yoga also helps in the treatment of urinary problems.
Precautions to take when practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
It is a very easy and safe asana to practice. However, there are some contraindications when practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga:
- For people who have had knee, ankle injuries or have recently undergone knee surgeries, they should not practice Vajrasana.
- Pregnant women should keep their knees and legs apart from each other while practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose to avoid exerting excessive pressure on the abdomen.
- People suffering from hernia and intestinal ulcers or any bowel related ailment should practice Vajrasana under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor. .
- People who have spinal injuries such as a sliding disc and any problems associated with the spine should not practice Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga.
Tips while practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
- Always perform Yogasanas in the range of your abilities and limitations Go as far as your body allows. Do not strain too much while practicing.
- While initially practicing, you may feel a throbbing pain in the feet and legs. But don’t give up. Sit for at least 2 minutes in Vajrasana if you are a beginner. It is possible to sit up to 30 minutes to sit in Vajrasana or Yoga Thunderbolt with regular practice.
- Although most yogasanas are supposed to be made on an empty stomach, the best time to practice Vajrasana is after meals. It promotes digestion. However, it can be practiced at any time of the day.
- If you feel excessive pain while practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga, leave the posture and stretch your legs on the yoga mat or on the floor.
- For maximum benefits, breathing should be kept deep and long. Many people tend to breathe faster while practicing this asana, which can hinder the calm of the mind and the relaxation of the body.
- The body should not be tense when bending the legs. Instead, the body must loosen to promote relaxation.
So we had seen what is Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose , Take care of timing limit and follow proper sequence . Have a good health